9/11/08

The Resurrection of the "Boy Band" (insert scary/cool looking font)

I am a little late on reporting this, but I'll still discuss the resurgence of this "brand new idea" of boy bands. Websters definition with the Keveeno explanation of a boy band is; a band acumalitive of mainly boys with the subtraction of a female presence meaning that possible there is a female presence within one of the boys soul, hence the Lance rumors. Boy bands usually are used as marketing around a female pop sensation (See Britney and N'Sync/ Backstreet Boys). Today they go younger to try and resurrect record sales with artists like Hannah Montana and The Jonas Brothers. So pump up the vocal enhancers, hide the wardrobe malfunctions, this is the resurrection of The Boy Bands.

(Image: New Kids on the Block, the O.G.s of the Boy Band phenomenon)

Without looking up the statistics, I'm pretty sure with the hype the Jonas Bros are getting more profits from touring than than selling records. This all shows a striking resemblance to when I was in Middle/Highschool and N'Sync was huge. The girls at my school were more into Usher, B2K and more of the RnB pop sensations, but there were a few that caught on with this boy band craze. Well, as with these political debates right now, it gets old. There was a break where they pushed artists who just were not ready as there was a steady decline in record sales across the board. I guess there was a breaking point where they needed something… anything. They found it in The Jones Bro's.

Success in todays market is strongly pointing toward a more live performance rather than cd driven business model. When will the statistics of billboard top 200 become irrelevant and selling out shows become more of what defines success today?

From the mind of

Keveeno Reeverts
Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

torrey said...

backstreet's back alright!! in all seriousness, boy bands did get me through my middle school years. i feel forever indebted.

Emma said...

I saw some footage from a recent New Kids on the Block concert and everyone was baaaawling. paleaaaaase.

Unknown said...

So where does Jackson 5 fit into all of this? Obviously New Kids was the big 90's boy band, but young girls were gushing over J5 in the 70s and in my opinion they actually made quality music. I also think that it was huge that they were an all Black group that garnered such fandom.

courtney said...

It's funny that you would write this today, because I decided, on a whim, to pull out my Nsync "No Strings Attached" album and jam out to it on the way into the city. It was the best 20 minutes I've spent driving in months. I don't know if it took me back to my youth or if the music actually was that good, but I really enjoyed myself. We try to put down the whole boy band phenomenon... but maybe it's not such a terrible way to make music?

La Nouvelle Orleans Film said...

I would love to see Milli Vanilli come back...

50 Records said...

Hey, I just bought the new Jonas Brothers CD and I'm 44 and have no kids to use as an excuse!
--Mistress AMG

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.